This week’s tasty thursday preparation is an entirely new thing for all of you. This item is popular in Andhra Pradesh – Hyderabad, Kakinada, Rajahmundry, Vijayawada and other places of these regions. The popular name for this item at these places is “dibba rotti recipe”.
It is a variety of (salty, not sweet) pancake prepared with the batter of rice and dehulled-split black lentils (urad dal). It is very delicious and tasty and mostly good for breakfast.
Preparation tips for “Dibba Rotti” Pancake
- Soak rice and split black lentils for 5, 6 hours in water. For one measure of lentils, you can add two-and-a-half measures of rice. Soak the ingredients at 5 pm or so, so that you can grind them before going to bed.
- After six hours, grind the soaked ingredients in mixer / grinder into a smooth batter. The paste so prepared should be smooth and soft but not liquid. While grinding add water little by little to make it a thick liquid batter.
- Add salt to the batter after removing into a container and leave it the whole night placing lid on it. It will get a bit fermented by doing so and the recipe will be soft and delicious to eat.
- Now, the next morning, place the deep frying pan on flame and add a tablespoon of oil to it.
- After the oil heats, pour the batter with a ladle into the pan. You can add 2 or 3 ladles for one pan cake according to the size required by you.
- Now place lid on it and allow to bake for 5 minutes on low heat.
- After 4, 5 minutes remove the lid and turn the cake to the other side. The fried side should be golden brown in colour.
- You may add a little bit of oil or not according to your choice and fry it for another 2, 3 minutes so that it cooks from the other side also. The other side when cooked will be of very light yellow / brown colour.
- Now you can serve the pancake hot with some sauce, jam or chutney.
We enjoy these cakes known as dibba roti very much and I am sure you will also like it a lot when you taste it.