On this Christmas eve, we had a special recipe known as “Dhokla” which is a very popular Gujarati recipe and is available at the Bikanerwala sweet shops and restaurants.
This recipe is a mixture of both sweet and savoury tastes and so can be liked by all people equally. Very delicious in flavour and tastes.
How to prepare Dhokla recipe:
- Take 2 cups of chickpea flour (known as besan) and one cup yogurt and mix it well into paste with warm water
- Add salt also while mixing the batter and a bit of baking soda for fermenting.
- Then leave it to ferment for 5 to 6 hours or you may keep the batter ready before going to bed at night and prepare the dish next morning.
- Take a steam cooker and place the batter on a plate or bowl to be put into the cooker on an elevated stand. Now cook the recipe in the steam for 10 minutes and turn off the flame or knob.
- Allow it cool and then cut into pieces.
- Heat a little oil in a pan and fry some mustard seeds and / or cumin seeds and add the pieces into it and mix well for a minute. You may add some chilli-ginger paste,coriander powder, turmeric powder and a little bit of sugar also while mixing in the heated pan. This will spice up it.
- Then serve the pieces in small plates garnished with coriander leaves and if you like some coconut scrape also.
- Some people serve it with tomato chutney and coriander leaves chutney as side dishes.
I hope all of you will taste this and experience the delicious taste of it. This post is in response to this week’s tasty thursdays post at this link